Villa Cappelli Favetta
A Puglia specialty.
Author: Villa Cappelli
Recipe type: Entree
Recipe yield: As much as you want
- Dried fava beans
- Garlic and other spices optional
- Chili flakes
- Bitter greens (like broccoli rabe)
- Villa Cappelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Examine your beans for any stones and remove them. Soak your fava beans over night. Discard any material that rises to the top. Drain and rinse again.
- If you can't soak overnight, then simply put them in cool water, bring the water to a boil, then take them off the heat and let them soak for an hour. Drain and proceed as if you soaked them overnight.
- Cover the beans with water so there is about two inches of water above the beans. Put in a peeled and cut onion. Cut into quarters is fine. If you like add a couple cloves of garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Lower and simmer until very tender. The beans should always be covered by some water, so add some more if you need as cooking.
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the beans to the texture you want, less for chunky and more for smooth and creamy. The texture is a matter of taste, but either way it should be rich and dense, not runny. If needed, add a bit of water to thin it out, or put it back on the stove to cook off any water. Be sure to watch it and stir so it doesn't burn on the bottom of your pan at this point.
- Best served with a bitter green, red chili flakes, and topped with Villa Cappelli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.