From how to make olive oil to what exactly “extra virgin” means, Paul and Steven talk about all things extra virgin olive oil, a subject obviously close to their hearts.
- How old olive trees are
- When olives are harvested and how
- Why Puglia extra virgin olive oil, NOT Tuscan extra virgin olive oil, is the best
- What exactly “extra virgin” means
- Why pungent and bitter extra virgin olive oil is a good thing
- Why extra virgin olive oil is a fruit oil, not a vegetable oil
- Why the old farmers used to pick olives barefoot
- How the olives are milled
- Why yield is important when harvesting olive and making extra virgin olive oil
- Why we stay at the mill during the entire process
- How many olive trees there are in Puglia — it’s probably a lot more than you think
Links and Resources
Extra Virginity: The Sublime and Scandalous World of Olive Oil
GREAT book all about extra virgin olive oil and all the corruption in the system. We highly recommend it.
Olive Oil Times. A great resource for all things olive oil.
Pictures from some of our harvests
Do you want to know more about how to make olive oil? Or have other questions? Let us know in the comments below.